Wednesday 10 May 2017

Here

     Some people experience such unbelievably huge and horrific loss in their lives that I have no idea how they cope. Losses like the death of a child or the murder, suicide or accidental death of a beloved are too painful to imagine. For some, the end of a marriage is also a death of sorts: a loss of hopes and dreams, a betrayal that is inconceivable. Of course deaths like these happen every day and every day the loved ones left behind must try to get out of bed and put one foot in front of the other. The weight of such pain is unfathomable and profoundly personal. No one's experience mirrors another's regardless of the similarity of circumstance. There is no "I know just how you feel....".
     I can often feel helpless in the face of such overwhelming grief and sadness. What should I say? There seems to be no words. What can I do? I want to do something. There are refrigerators full of casseroles that testify to such a desire in others as well.
     Eventually there is support in the form of bereavement and support groups, hospice volunteers and even counselling, if appropriate. In the meantime, all I can say is "I'm here." Then all I can do is be there, be present, be quiet and listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment