Saturday 23 December 2023

Manana

     As a result of what is going on in my life as well as what is going on in the world around us, I started a gratitude journal. Around bedtime I make note of one thing that I am thankful for that day. It has become an end of day routine that I am finding beneficial. And although my mood is typically less positive during these darkening days, I feel a little more upbeat, a little less stressed, a little more able to get a restful sleep as a result of this new practice.
     This week I learned how to say thank you in Pashto. It was taught to me as a result of meeting some folks new to this country and a donation of some family furniture. I know next to nothing about the people receiving the couch and some other pieces but I do know that I was the one who received the larger, more profound gift. The reality that these families had escaped an oppressive regime half a world away with almost none of their own possessions affected me deeply. Their simple expression of thanks was one that I will never forget. And today, that is what I am grateful for. As divided and hate-filled as this world can be, there are instances of love. "Love thy neighbour as thyself" Jesus said. Helen, you helped show me what that looks like. Thank you! Manana!







No comments:

Post a Comment